Friday 13 October 2017

My Vintage Protest, Continued

In my last blog post about this I suggested people adopting 1930's, 1940's and 1950's style clothes again.

I realized that it was wrong to force this on anybody, because this is the Land of the Free, after all, but I do want properly tailored 30's and 40's clothes to become more widely available, because online they only ever seem to sell 50's stuff.




I know that the fashion world is trying to please everybody but I feel like it needs to be more diverse... and good... and if only I could get my hands on the above items...

Now, what does His Majesty Distraction Trump mean by "Make America Great Again"?

Well, it doesn't really need to be explained further. The "Again" refers to some point in the past, most likely his childhood in the 50's. He reminisces fondly of the violence towards the black people in the 1960's, calling it "the good old days", as a black protester is dragged out of his rally.
He is trying to bring back the worst aspects of the past.



http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/26/politics/donald-trump-when-america-was-great/index.html

Evidently, so are half his fans.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/americans-1950s-poll_us_580fcf0be4b08582f88c9575

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/08/if-youre-an-old-republican-you-probably-want-to-go-back-to-the-50s/278864/

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article.../Half-Americans-think-country-better-1950s.html

It's not just an issue of race, but of gender and class, too. The current Administration is taking away healthcare from millions of people, and taking away reproduction rights from women, which is also sending the country backwards about 65 years.

So I thought I'd keep showing off the better aspects of the past, specifically the clothes.




Yes, wanting to revive authentic 1930's fashion is part of my plan but I also think that people should have the widest choice possible in what they should wear. I don't care if Heidi Klum and Michael Kors would find it "costumey".

I've also been reading old books, watching old movies and cartoons (on a computer, which is kind of cheating), learning old dances and trying to listen to as much old music as possible.

Like Koichi Nishi from The Bad Sleep Well, one of my new favourite movies, it's difficult for me to go further, even though I want to. I would get distracted by some recent song and prefer to listen to that instead.
That will soon change, since I'm discovering more interesting old music all the time.

I hate to say it but making the country go backwards, as much as it sucks, appeals to half of my artistic tastes. So to make the journey interesting I try to make the most of it.

Watching the first eight Disney movies makes it fun, too. The first movie this year that I watched on the plane to America was Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, a movie I continue to have a fondness for in terms of its visual style and artistic ambition.

Plus, it's not an inflammatory Occupy Democrats type of protest which screams my thoughts and makes me look bad to everyone.

Since I have dual British/American citizenship, the Administration doesn't affect me as much, so in a way I'm kind of fortunate. I guess I'm not as angry either.
I'm only able to visit the States on vacation so I don't get as much of an opportunity to protest this way.

I did, however, attend the Women's March in London.

"Boss Baby" refers to Donald Trump, of course, as an allusion to Alec Baldwin playing two similar characters, on Saturday Night live and in the Dreamworks movie.

1 comment:

  1. I am looking for 30's clothes all the time - they all seem cheaply made or too expensive. I agree that the designs should be readily available and not considered costumes.

    ReplyDelete