Friday 31 March 2023

Why was 2020 called a racial reckoning?

 I'm tired of the phrase "racial reckoning" used to describe 2020. Same with terms such as "the biggest protest since the 1960s". The racial reckoning happened ten years ago, with the founding of Black Lives Matter in June 2013.

Their language indicates that this movement hadn't done enough to stop the police killings of black people in 2020, when in fact so many battles had been fought over that time. So many peaceful protests had happened during those seven years. In 2014 they sought justice for at least ten murders in that year alone. In 2015, at least 23 murders happened, fourteen by police. They marched, they rallied, they held "die-ins". They have displayed determination and diligence in the face of systemic murder and brutality by police and by overgrown manchildren with guns, and that was even before this "racial reckoning" happened. Even as the bodies count got larger every year. Yes, the protests in 2020 mattered, but it's not wrong to say "all protests matter", especially where civil rights are concerned. I'm not dismissing the ones in 2020, I just wish these protesters had been listened to. This is in case you misinterpret my words.

It seems like society, the media and corporations systemically ignored them, as though they waited for a pandemic happen before realizing Black Lives Matter existed. 

When people say "before Black Lives Matter" I assume they're thinking of 2012.

I have been to anti-racism rallies, because I can't believe this is the 21st Century. I somewhat belatedly realized, by 2014, that there was such a frequent pattern of police killing black people you'd think it was a systemic massacre, and you'd be right in thinking it.

(I have Frank Conniff to thank for that. I followed him on Facebook once and he is one of the wokest white people I know of, and helps keep us aware of injustice while the media were looking the other way)

I know I have no right to appropriate words like "woke", but white people also don't get to decide what is a "racial reckoning" and what isn't. They're as good at stealing language as they are at stealing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment